3MT Eligibility and Rules
Active master’s and doctoral candidates in disciplines/programs administered by The Graduate School, who have successfully passed their confirmation milestone, i.e. qualifying exam by the date of their first presentation, are eligible to participate in the 3MT competition.
A competitive participant will likely have a well-conceived research project, compelling data collected, and a novel story to share.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. cue cards, costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to three minutes maximum and competitors exceeding three minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.