- This event has passed.
Professional Communication Skills Boot Camp for Graduate Students
Thursday, October 14, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The Boot Camp is a three-part series intended to increase students’ confidence communicating to broader audiences and practice developing persuasive skills that will create effective messaging and relay the importance of one’s research.
The Boot Camp takes a development approach and is based on practice and feedback. The expected outcomes include a polished elevator pitch for non-expert audiences, increased confidence in impromptu speaking as a novice scholar, and skills with responding to questions about your research. We anticipate participants to be from a broad range of disciplines.
Skills and contexts explored:
- Communicate research to non-expert audience and across differences, translating research without jargon
- Develop skills in conversation and civic discourse, establish and support an argument
- Gain buy-in and support from others, i.e. persuasion
- Build confidence and capacity as a storyteller of your research/scholarship
- Fully participate in Sessions 1, 2 and 3
- Complete pre-and post-surveys
- Complete pre-and post-video submissions
Session 1: Thursday October 14, 3:00-4:00pm (virtual) – Goal setting, analysis of contexts and audiences for communication, mind-mapping, communication across difference, dialogue, debate, and discussion.
Bri McWhorter of Activate to Captivate will facilitate sessions 2 and 3:
Session 2: Thursday October 21, 1:00-4:30pm (in-person) Overcoming nerves, bringing ideas to life — Introductions — Connecting with your audience — Content creation and organization — Idea maps — PowerPoint techniques
Session 3: Friday October 22, 9am-1pm (in-person) Vocal variety — Storytelling tips — Effective rehearsal techniques — Distilling your content — Unanswerable questions
Please be sure to register only if you are able to attend all three sessions.